A good night sleep is something that we all desire, especially after a long day. When you hit the pillow at night, comfort is essential. Unfortunately, not all of us experience that comfort. Some of us wake up with back pain while others develop respiratory problems. There are so many different types of mattresses in the market.
This makes the process of choosing the best mattress for you overwhelming. If you want quality and reliable mattresses, then latex mattresses are the way to go. Many customers opt for these mattresses because of its durability, comfort and the health benefits it possesses. But, what exactly is a latex mattress? Well, this is a mattress that is manufactured from processed sap of rubber trees.
Different Types of Latex Mattresses
These are also called organic latex mattresses. A process known as tapping is used to collect the tree saps required in the manufacturing of these mattresses. They are very durable, as they can last for more than 15 years.
The extraction of natural latex mattresses is very costly. As such, manufacturers rarely make latex mattresses that are 100% natural. Before you purchase a natural latex mattress, ensure you ask the manufacturer what percentage is actually natural latex. Some manufacturers use a very small percentage of the natural latex; say 20% or even 10% in some situation. You need to know what you are going home with.
These mattresses have the appearance and texture of completely natural latex, but they are not. Unlike natural latex, synthetic latex mattresses use chemicals in a process known as polymerization when manufacturing the mattresses.
The mattresses are cheaper than natural latex mattresses, however, they are not firm and tend to have a shorter durability. Additionally, a number of people have reported to react to the chemicals used in the synthetic latex. Before purchasing take a second look at the mattress, and make sure it is the right one for you.
These mattresses are a combination of synthetic and natural latex. The ratio of organic to synthetic varies depending on the manufacturers. To cut down the high costs, most manufacturers use synthetic as the largest percentage during processing.
The blended latex mattresses offer a balance of the types of latex mattresses in terms of durability and quality. These types of latex mattresses are very common, mainly because of their pricing difference from the other two types.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Latex Mattress
Type of mattress
Do you want a natural, synthetic or blended latex mattress? You need to establish what type of mattress suits your needs first. Most people go for natural due to its eco-friendliness, but, these mattresses are very costly.
There are two types of processing; Talalay and Dunlop. These processes determine the firmness of the mattress. Talalay makes the mattresses feel softer while Dunlop makes a mattress firm.The decision to choose firmer or softer mattresses solely depends on your personal preference.
The firmness of mattresses also depends on its two broad measures; Indentation Load Deflection (IDL) and Density. IDL is a measure of the firmness of the mattress while Density is a measure of weight of the mattress per square foot.
The warranty of mattresses is just as important as the warranties for other products you own in your home. Most of the warranties are from 10 to 20 years. The major concern when it comes to latex mattresses is the body impressions. Body impressions cause the sleeping surface of the mattress to be uneven.
This limits free movements. You want to feel like you made the absolute best decision when purchasing a mattress, and when you get a warranty, it is more of a safety net in case you decide later on that it was not the proper choice.
When it comes to longevity, latex mattresses are the best option there is. They have an average lifespan of eight years. The rubber sap used during manufacturing contributes to its durability.
Some people react to natural latex because of the protein contents in it. This should be taken into consideration before purchasing a latex mattress.
Some people also react to the chemicals used during manufacturing of the synthetic mattresses.
Latex mattresses have been proved to provide so many benefits to its users. Some of the benefits include:
- Pain reduction – latex mattresses are known for their comfort. Being a resilient material, latex provides support by putting just enough pressure to maintain proper alignment. The natural elasticity of these mattresses enables one to sleep comfortably. This reduces lower back pain.
- Durable- Latex mattresses surpass other mattresses in terms of durability. The mattresses have the longest lifespan compared to other mattresses in the market.
- Odor- The no off-gassing feature of natural latex mattresses are a plus, especially if you are sensitive to smells. This will enable you to sleep soundly all night without having to endure repulsive odors. Synthetic latex, however, has been reported to release chemical odors.
- Health Benefits- Unlike most mattresses that are in the market, latex mattresses do not use petroleum-based foams that release toxic chemicals. These chemicals have adverse health effects as they increase the risk to diseases such as cancer and can lower your immune system. It has hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties. It is also resistant to mildew and mold.
- Eco-friendly- The raw materials used in the manufacturing of latex mattresses are extracted using a tapping method. This method does not require the tree to be cut down for purpose of harvesting. This eco-friendliness quality is one of the reasons why this mattress is very popular. Latex is also biodegradable thus does not attribute to environmental pollution.
- Ease of customization- Some retailers enables you to determine the feel or firmness you want for your mattress. You can choose from the varied options and even mix things up a little to get your ideal mattress.
Pin-pointing the best latex mattress can be challenging. Everyone has their own preferences. Some like firmer mattresses while others like softer ones; it all comes down to individual comfort. All in all, latex mattresses have been guaranteed to cater to the needs of different customers, and have been rated highly when it comes to customer satisfaction.
So, you can rest assured that they will take your sleeping experience to a whole new level. You can never go wrong with the eco-friendly and comfortable latex mattresses.